Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Paula Patton Joins Law & Order SVU: Official NBC Press Release

Here is the official press release from NBC announcing that Paula Patton has joined Law & Order SVU. by the way, Neal Baer stated that her character's name, Mikka Von, spells "Novak Kim" backwards. (Thankfully it wasn't an anagram of "Neal Baer" or her name may have been "Anal Beer" or "Bear Lane.")


July 21, 2010
PAULA PATTON ('PRECIOUS') JOINS 'LAW & ORDER: SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT' FOR MULTI-EPISODE STINT AS NEW ADA

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. -- July 21, 2010 -- Actress Paula Patton ("Precious") will be joining the cast of "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" for a multi-episode stint as ADA Mikka Von, it was announced today by Creator and Executive Producer Dick Wolf.

Patton, who was nominated for multiple honors including the SAG Award (ensemble), NAACP Image Award (Supporting Actress) and the Critics Choice Award (ensemble) for her role as Ms. Blu Rain in the Oscar winning film "Precious," will play a charming and savvy ADA who works with the Special Victims Unit on the Wolf Films/Universal Media Studios series, entering its 12th season on NBC.

"Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" premieres September 22 in a new time period, Wednesdays at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT) on NBC.

"When I saw Paula Patton give that terrific performance in the multi-Oscar nominated Precious, I knew she'd be perfect for SVU's new Assistant District Attorney -- she's funny, warm and witty with a penchant for justice. And it happened. She's starting in episode five. How cool is that?" executive producer Neal Baer said.

Patton is currently filming Sony’s “Jumping the Broom” and other credits include the feature films "Just Wright”, “Déjà Vu” and “Swing Vote.”

Dick Wolf, Ted Kotcheff, Neal Baer and Peter Jankowski are Executive Producers of "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit," which stars Christopher Meloni, Mariska Hargitay, Ice-T, Richard Belzer, B.D Wong, Tamara Tunie and Dann Florek
.


Check out my blog home page for the latest Law & Order information, on All Things Law And Order, here.

Also, see my companion Law & Order site,These Are Their Stories.

10 comments:

Joshua Morton said...

I think Paula Patton is a good addition to the SVU cast; she was simply marvelous in Precious - it's all depending on how the SVU writers will portray her in SVU... as long as they don't make her character another Kim Greylek (Michaela McManus) or Jo Marlowe (Sharon Stone) - it'll suit me just fine. I think Greylek was better than Marlowe. I hope I liked Von (Patton) like I did Cabot (March) and Novak (Neal).

I hate SVU stopped introducing new main characters in the first episodes of the season. Like D. Neal's first apperance, S. March's third appearance.

Neal Baer needs to tell his crew to write episodes that will have the last 15-30 mins of SVU in the courtroom! - Like the good old days!

Anonymous said...

Paula Patton is class personified. I think she'll be good for SVU.

svu luver said...

mikka von... sounds sexy!!

Esaul said...

I am fully against this new addition to the cast. I love Stephanie March, she should just stay as Cabot. I finished Conviction last week, and I wish that show was never cancelled. The last two episodes were brilliant, better than some of the Law and Order shows and their episodes.

Rick said...

Why do people always go down on the elements of these Law & Order shows (or the spinoffs anyway). You don't hear much complaining about the mothership when casting changes happen.

When something happens on SVU, CI, or an LA version being spined-off hell breaks loose.

Stephanie March has voiced herself that she only wanted the Cabot role 'temporary' when she came back for s10 of SVU. It wasn't meant to last until the show ends (whenever). Paula Patton is up there with Stephanie March and Diane Neal when it comes to acting. Patton is perfect for SVU as ADA Von! Let the show ride!

Osiris said...

Why can't people read between the lines. Stephanie March *does not want to do SVU*. Alex Cabot was too perfect...she had nearly 0 character flaws and for most actors, a character like that is very boring. Ms. March does not like playing the perfect princess. If her character were more human and had obvious flaws(like Casey) she could probably stand to play her a bit more.

Shelly said...

As much as I loved "Cabot" and Stephanie March during her original run on the show, I didn't care for her during her re-appearance this past season. I can't really put my finger on it, but Cabot just seemed more agitated, more irritable, more combative with the cops, etc. It's not how I remember Alex being.

As for Paula Patton, I don't know that I've seen her in anything, so I'm willing to give her a chance.

Esaul said...

I don't mind the cast changes if they're done right. And Cabot did have her flaws, they weren't as obvious, but she did have her flaws, and those made the compelling episodes, to me anyway. I mean I was fine with Diane Neal, who's my second favorite ADA when Cabot went into witness protection. Idk. There's just something about her character I've always loved.

And btw, if Cabot was so perfect, why did she have a fling with a coworker in the show Conviction? Why did she have an affair when she was practically engaged? Those don't sound "flawless" to me at all...just throwing that out there.

gahks said...

She sounds like a decent addition! Not a fan of the name 'Mikka Von' though, much less where Baer got it from! Couldn't he come up with something more interesting?

Osiris said...

Esaul, if you remember, Stephanie March *only* agreed to do Conviction if the writers gave her character more depth and more to do. That's what I mean by reading between the lines...it seems as if she is bored with the role.

She doesn't want to do Cabot, anymore. She was great in the role but let her go.