Thursday, June 26, 2008

Big News: Chris Noth Out – Jeff Goldblum In?

According to Fox News, Chris Noth is leaving Law & Order Criminal Intent. It wouldn’t surprise me, he just seemed to be phoning it in his last episode aired, “Contract.” And maybe with the success of the Sex and the City Movie, he’s now a little too “big” for his britches? Here’s the story, from Fox.

Mr. Big's Exit: Chris Noth Done With 'Law and Order'
Thursday, June 26, 2008
By Roger Friedman Fox News

Mr. Big's Exit

"Sex and the City" star Chris Noth is done with "Law & Order: Criminal Intent."

Sources tell me Noth is leaving the series he's been with for five seasons, splitting leading-role duties with Vincent D'Onofrio. His replacement will be Jeff Goldblum, who comes to TV from a long film career that includes "The Fly" and "Independence Day."

Noth, as Detective Mike Logan, was a member of the original "Law and Order" cast when it started 18 years ago. He left the show, returned, and then joined "Criminal Intent" originally opposite Annabella Sciorra in 2005 after pumping up his career considerably as Mr. Big in the HBO series "Sex and the City."

But "Criminal Intent" has had ratings problems, and now airs first on the USA Networks, owned by NBC, and then the parent network. For the coming season, I'm told, Noth was asked to take a pay freeze instead of an increase. But with "Sex and the City" booming at the box office, he decided it was time to go.

Check out my blog home page for the latest Law & Order information, here.

Also, see my companion Law & Order site,These Are Their Stories.

12 comments:

Miss Kitty Fantastico said...

I knew that it was just a matter of time. Going off to that big movie career...Again. Bye Chris. I'm sure you'll be back in 5 years or so.

As for Goldblum, interesting pick. I was a HUGE fan of his last show "Raines" the cop who would talk with the deceased victims.

Love your blog. Thanks for all the info.

Anonymous said...

Huzzah, if they reference Raines, which Goldblum was great in. Heh.

Hey, Noth came back, when he didn't have to, plus he spoke his mind. And we knew it was coming (or could be coming).

We got "To The Bone," "Renewal" and "Senseless," so I've no complaints.

Jane said...

I cannot see Goldblum in LOCI myself, it is a shame if this news is true, I have yet to see the S6 and S7 Logan side as I have only seen S5 ones, but I thought Chris liked doing the show, I guess with the new baby he perhaps doesn't want to stay away from him. I wonder what storyline they will give for Logan's parting ep??

Music Wench said...

I'm going to miss Logan. I always enjoyed him on both the mothership and LOCI.

I like Jeff Goldblum, though and am willing to see what he's going to do.

Here's hoping that they'll give Logan a nice send off. Something more positive than the one he had on the mothership. LOL He is an older, more mature Logan, after all.

As long as Vincent D'Onorio and Kathryn Erbe are there, I will continue tuning in.

Anonymous said...

Wow this sux,but I guess we all saw it coming after that article posted a few days ago. Still, I thought Chris Noth was great and just never really given any "amazing" material to work with.

Anonymous said...

I agree that this news was coming sooner or later. I wonder if Wolf & Noth have a beef of some sort because he has never acted to fond of L&O,the mothership or the spinoffs? I mean I don't know but it just seems to me that if I was on a show as successful as L&O and then got re-hired by the same boss to be the star I would be a lot happier than Chris has seemed. Maybe he is trying to get into more movies like SITC. Oh well, it will be interesting to see Goldblum on L&OCI. Great post, thanks for the info!

Anonymous said...

I came on board with Logan and will be leaving with him as well!!

I have watched each and every episdoe but it was the Logan character that drew me to CI.

I tryed to continue watching the Mothership when the Logan character left the first time - but found his replacements - extremely dull and unwatchable for my liking - I gave it a shot though.

Can't really stand Jeff Goldblum - sorry to any off his fans.

I just hope that they give Logan a good send off :)

Personally thought Contract was great but that's just my opinion.

Oh and to the unfeeling AND mean spirited,negative posters like miss kitty fantastico - remind me to come and taunt you if and when VDO leaves - give a little get a little as they say !

Miss Kitty Fantastico said...

I didn't think that I was negative. In fact, Noth (whom I adore--huge Logan and Mr. Big Fan) just never seemed appreciative of his being given a nice cushy role back on CI. I always go back to what Jerry Orbach used to say about working for DW. It was FU (pardon my French) money. Good food, great people and NYC to work with and in.

As for VDO, when he leaves, I'll be sad to see him go as well, but I'll go on with my life.

So sorry to have offended you, Anonymous. I try not to offend anyone especially on someone elses blog.

Law and Order Junkie if I was out of line let me know, ok? I really enjoy your blog. I'll keep the opinions light and fluffy.

Chris Zimmer said...

Miss Kitty Fantastico (love that name!) you weren't out of line. In fact, I think you and I are pretty much on the same page about the subject!

Anonymous said...

I agree Miss Kitty. Plus out of 9 comments there is only one againist your opinion so don't sweat it.

Anonymous said...

Huh? I'm pretty sure Jerry Orbach loved being on Law and Order, his dedication and acting never slipped in all the years he was on.

Chris Noth on the other hand, seemed energetic and well versed in the first 2 or 3 seasons,but i'll agree that he's definetly seemed kinda tired of the job now. Something we didn't ever see from actors like Jerry or Ed but both knew it was their time to go and never had a "superiority" complex the way that Noth seems to all of a sudden.

Anonymous said...

I think a better plot for the story would be all the girls get rich like in the show "Roseanne". But instead of just wasting the money, they help people like the homeless.