Friday, February 5, 2010
Chris Meloni Announces Intention to Leave Law & Order SVU? Maybe Not
An Australian news outlet, the Courier Mail, reports that Chris Meloni will leave Law & Order SVU “within the year… confirming he would walk away from the role of Detective Elliot Stabler after season 12 of Law & Order SVU.” The article also goes on to state that “The decision already has led to tears, with castmate Mariska Hargitay breaking down when discussing how she and her character Detective Olivia Benson would cope with losing Meloni.” The article also said that Chris “was interested in pursuing theatre work as well as producing and or acting in "guerrilla-style sleeper" films when he leaves.”
This should be no real shock, since Meloni renewed his contract only through season 12. Still, the news will likely be upsetting to many fans.
You can read the full article and all of Chris’ comments at the following link:
Chris Meloni of Law & Order SVU hands in his badge Note: is no longer active, see note and new updated link below.
Update Feb. 6, 2010 - SVU Executive Producer Neal Baer, via Twitter, has been denying Meloni is leaving, going so far as to say in one Tweet "don't believe everything you read in the papers!" Access Hollywood has noted that the Courier Mail article is no longer available on line.
So – did the Courier Mail lie? No retraction was printed that I can find. Did Meloni open his mouth when he should have kept it shut? All I know is that fans seem to be caught in the middle here. I sure would like to see an official retraction from the Courier Mail if the story wasn’t true.
February 7, 2010 Yet another update: the story is BACK UP on the Courier Mail, here’s the new link: Chris Meloni to leave Law and Order SVU after season 12 So...who are we supposed to believe? Can anyone provide a confirmation or denial from Meloni himself?
Update April 7, 2010: Meloni finally clarifies and says he is not leaving, read article in US Magazine, here: Chris Meloni: I'm Not Leaving SVU
Here's what he said, excerpts:
The TV star has finally spoken out about an early February report that claimed he intended to leave the NBC show after shooting season 12.
"It's lies. All lies. No," Meloni told UsMagazine.com Tuesday at the Benefit Gala for Figure Skating in Harlem at NYC's Wollman Rink.
The actor, 49, has played Detective Eliot Stabler in the NBC spinoff alongside Mariska Hargitay since it premiered in 1999. Australian newspaper Courier-Mail had quoted him as saying, "I think 12 years is enough, a good number...It will be a difficult transition."
But Meloni explained to Us: "What I said was 'When your contract is done...that will be the end. Because when your contract is done, it's usually the end," he said. "But when [producers] come back to me, you know, we can always talk.' I couched it incorrectly. It wasn't [the reporter's] fault."
To set the record straight, the star clarified: "I had one year [left] on my contract. Our show hasn't been picked up. Those are the facts of the matter."
Check out my blog home page for the latest Law & Order information, on All Things Law And Order, here.
Also, see my companion Law & Order site,These Are Their Stories.